"Go Into All The World..."

Tuesday, April 4, 2017

Introduction to this blog

My name is Andy Shaffer and this blog is all about my great grandfather, the late Rev. Garrett V. Albertson. He was a remarkable man in so many ways and left me a heritage I wish to now share. He died when I was four years old, so I don’t remember our only encounter as told to me by my parents, but just in recent months I have discovered so much more about him that I want the world to get to know him and his heart.

My great grandfather was a Sunday school missionary to our wild, western frontier – to places like Oklahoma and Kansas – back when they were just territories full of lonely trails, Indians, wild beasts, bandits. He risked life and limb for a noble cause. He wasn’t a writer by trade, but he wrote charmingly about his “life and labors” in a 1935 book called Kingdom Stories. In it he confides numerous personal accounts and experiences, many suspenseful, others humorous that not only tell of his part in spreading God’s gospel to needy rugged pioneers, but he also contributes a unique eyewitness history account of America’s western frontier.

Only a few copies of Kingdom Stories were published and few remain today, and most of those belong to aging family members. I obtained my copy from a rare book dealer on Amazon and was so delighted to see my great grandfather’s fountain pen signature and inscription on the inside front cover.

Family members told me of one other book he wrote – much earlier – around the turn of the century called A Visit to Mars – an adventurous tale of an earth traveler arriving on the red planet. And, remember, this is between 1900 and 1902 when it was written and published. Amazingly, like Jules Verne, my great Grandfather describes advanced life on Mars with so many futuristic and visionary aspects that it boggled my mind! I started composing a list of them which included airships, helicopters, solar panels, night vision goggles, huge telescopes to see other planets including earth, women’s equality (would you believe in 1902!) and yes, even the internet. Perhaps you will help me find more predictions as I share excerpts in this blog and unveil this very remarkable story. However, the real theme and purpose of the book is not about the advanced state of Mars and all of its grandeur, but rather how a society can become of such high order by simply putting God first, and evangelizing its people, thereby unleashing God’s Spirit and favor upon their civilization.

This science fiction book is even more difficult to locate today than Kingdom Stories. Both have been out of print for decades. In fact our research shows that the Peoria Public Library has the only public copy of the revised and republished edition of A Visit to Mars which is dated 1902.

Family members have told me it was Garrett’s desire to “better publish” both of these writings. In fact I found one old paper where he states one of the books “is again in form and ready to submit properly for republication as soon as conditions will allow.” But, neither book was republished from those few original copies. It just never happened and what a shame. Since I have copies of both books in original form it is now my goal to republish them both, complete with illustrations and explanations. Perhaps this blog will test if that is a wise decision and that others would benefit by reading them.

Lastly, a family member recently gave me many of my great grandfather's original papers and effects that were stored for over sixty years. I found numerous sermons published in a Florida newspaper around 1939. Could I share with you some of those great thoughts from a man who truly walked with God? Many of his messages speak to a very different era as well as to spiritual topics that have become foreign or overlooked in our current, fast paced, American culture. And yet, these are topics that are deeply relevant and helpful to the collective soul of humankind.

It is with all this in mind that I dedicate this blog to sharing the heart of my great grandfather including his many messages delivered, whether in sermon or book form. I hope and pray that each visitor to this blog will find what I and some close friends already have found: a sense of hope and vision through a wonderful plan called, Salvation.

No comments:

Post a Comment