"Go Into All The World..."

Wednesday, April 19, 2017

"Saved by My Glasses," from Frontier Stories


I really can't wait to share some of the stories from my great grandfather's autobiographical account of the 40 or so years he spent as a Sunday School Missionary in the Wild West and preacher at the beginning of the 20th century! His book was originally titled Kingdom Stories, but I have since begun republishing it to be released under the name, Frontier Stories.

One chapter in the book is titled "Saved by my Glasses." In it, a thrilled but shaken Garrett Albertson tells of how an emotional lady recounted to him how she had, moments before welcoming him into her home, stood at her door was ready to fire her gun at him! She had initially mistaken my great grandfather for someone else. She then suddenly noticed his glasses that flashed in the sun, and realized he was not the person she thought he was!

How thrilled I was a few months ago when my "Uncle Mackey" told me he had a pair of glasses (shown) in my great grandfather's things he had retrieved after his funeral in 1952. Of course, I can't be sure THOSE were the glasses; but I decided to publish the photo next to the aforementioned chapter inquiring whether these MIGHT just be the very glasses that saved my great grandfather's life. I'll never know for sure.

Blessings,

Andy

No comments:

Post a Comment